In 1884, the Macedonia Baptist Church was organized by the late Rev. A.R. Griggs. It was located on Montezuma Street not far from the second church location, 902 North Good-Latimer Expressway. In 1907 a one-story frame building was erected under the pastorate of Dr. L. K. Williams and in 1922 the church erected a four story brick building under the pastorate of Dr. E. Arlington Wilson.
From 1884 to 1934, the church was blessed to have the following ministers as pastors: Rev. A.R. Griggs, Rev. Z.T. Pardee, Rev. F.K. White, Rev. L.K. Williams, Rev. A.C. Capers, Rev. S.E.J. Watson and Rev. E. Arlington Wilson. These great preachers worked diligently and the church grew and prospered under their efficient leadership.
On July 19, 1934, the Good Street Baptist Church was organized, out of the Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church. Dr. T.M. Chambers was the first pastor under the new name and served for fourteen years. On Sunday morning, December 26, 1946 – the day after Christmas – the entire church was burned to the ground. The church held its Sunday services at the Booker T. Washington High School while the new building was built at the same site. The church held its first service in the new building on May 23, 1948. Dr. Chambers served as pastor for two more years before moving to Los Angeles, California to become the pastor of Zion Hill Baptist Church.
On September 10, 1950, Reverend Caesar Arthur Walter Clark began his pastorate. Pastor Clark, a young man with a vision and great preaching ability, began organizing new groups and strengthening those groups already in place. The church purchased three parsonages; formed the Good Street Church Community Center; purchased a 70-passenger school bus, two 9-passenger station wagons and a Volkswagen and purchased the property located at the corner of Hatcher and Roberts Streets in South Dallas. In January, 1960, the church burned the mortgage on all of its outstanding debt. In 1964, the Good Street Charitable Foundation, a non-profit corporation was founded, and the Good Haven Apartments were purchased. The property covered approximately 19,439 acres of land and contained 332 units. A nursery and kindergarten school were also housed at this site.
In 1969, a new location was found and purchased to build a larger church. On Sunday morning, May 3, 1970, the Good Street Baptist Church membership march into the “new church” at 3110 Bonnie View Road. The church mortgage and all of its debt were paid off in 1981. One year later, in 1982, a Learning Center, where we conducted our children’s Sunday school classes, was added. In March 1991, a new community center at 3126 Hatcher Street was constructed and a year later, on March 23, 1992, the C.A. W. Clark Community Center was opened. The Good Street Baptist Church Credit Union and legal clinic were also organized under Pastor Clark’s leadership. Pastor Clark had served God well as he had literally preached on at least three continents, and he was loved and respected from pews to pulpits all over America.
On July 27, 2008, at the age of 93, the Lord called Pastor C.A.W. Clark, Sr., home after faithfully serving Him at the Good Street Baptist Church for 57 years. Aside from his preaching (that was lauded not just for his style but for the substance that went with it), teaching, and love for this congregation, we will always remember Pastor’s Clark saying “…and all the people said “Amen!”
From 2008 until August,2012, Rev. Ronald L. Anglin served as our interim pastor. With his kind, caring spirit and leadership, God used Reverend Anglin to keep our church family together. He stood in the gap by doing what God had called him to do during that period… to faithfully proclaim God’s Word and care for this flock. For many, as we enter the sanctuary, the words of Rev. Anglin, as he began our services, comes to mind “… It’s good to be in the house of the Lord, just one more time!”
The Good Street Baptist Church membership, under the leading of the Holy Spirit, voted-in our current pastor, Rev. Eddie L. Jenkins. Pastor Jenkins hails from Michigan City, Indiana, where he pastored the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church for 23 years. Being obedient to the Master’s call and sorrowfully leaving the church he loves and pastored, he was installed as the Pastor of the Good Street Baptist Church on August 26, 2012. Pastor Jenkins came to us with a vision of New Beginnings… “Pressing On With Purpose, Great Power and a New Leader.” Pastor Jenkins has challenged our church to raise our expectations, to avoid and break religious routines and rituals and administer the right remedy, acting with the appropriate response by the leading of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God as we move forward in our growth in the Lord and in our work as His disciples!
-Abbreviated version from the Historical Commission